Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 20, Fuchu
|Showing 1 of 1||
Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 20, Fuchu, c. 1833-1852
Ink on Paper
8 11/16 in. x 13 1/2 in. (22.07 cm x 34.29 cm)
Seals in upper left, and upper right.
Colored ink on off-white paper; woodblock print.
Color woodblock print from Hiroshige's Tokaido Road series. Fuchu, 6 miles from Ejiri, is located on the bank of the Abe River. It is now included in the large city of Shizuoka prefecture, Fuchu was the most prestigious of Japan's castle towns, where the Sumpu castle of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first shogun of the Tokugawa bakufu, was located. Later this structure burned down.
Hiroshige depicts three women crossing the Abe River; one is carried in a palanquin by several bearers, and the other on a simpler, ladderlike structure. Still another rides piggyback. They must be traveling as a group - a lady and her two servants. The mountains across the river are dark, which may indicate that the time of day has turned toward evening.
Ref. "Hokusai and Hiroshige," p.183.
This object has the following keywords:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Objects is "Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 20, Fuchu".