Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 6, Totsuka
|Showing 1 of 1||
Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 6, Totsuka, c. 1833-1834
Ink on Paper
8 15/16 in. x 13 15/16 in. (227.01 mm x 354.01 mm)
Variation plate from "53 Stations of the Tokaido Road" series
On mat in pencil: Tokaido set no. 6a, Totsuka (variation plate). Japanese text on left edge (incorporated into the image). Signed: Hiroshige ga.
Nishiki-e, horizontal oban; colored ink on paper.
Color woodblock print with an image of a man dismounting from his horse in front of an open tea-house, while a waitress stands by to receive him.
About 5 2/3 miles from Hodogaya (cat. 108), Totsuka was also later swallowed by the gigantic city of Yokohama. A milestone next to the stone lantern at the end of the bridge gives directions---“To the left the road to Kamakura”---a town famous for the Tsurugaoka Hachiman Shrine. This is the junction of the road that leads to Kamakura. At the left foreground, travelers have stopped at a teahouse with a sign reading “Komeya.” A waitress welcomes the new guests. A man dismounts from his horse; beside him, a groom stands by. A newly arrived woman pauses for a moment and removes her hat.
The use of lines in light and dark greens, which provides the texture of the ground is probably an effect that Hiroshige learned from Dutch etchings.
This is the first state of the print. The second version (cat. 110), which was published only by Hoeido, shows a considerable number of differences.
(ref. “Hokusai and Hiroshige,” p.167 )
Hoeido (Takenouchi Magohachi) seal.
This object has the following keywords:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Objects is "Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 6, Totsuka".