Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 4, Kanagawa
|Showing 1 of 1||
Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 4, Kanagawa, c. 1833-1834
Ink on Paper
8 13/16 in. x 13 15/16 in. (223.84 mm x 354.01 mm)
Different edition of 46.1.20; some changes and omissions.
On verso in pencil, lower right: Jo 4a XIV. Signed: Hiroshige ga.
Nishiki-e, horizontal oban; colored ink on paper.
Color woodblock print with an image of a village near the sea.
Leaving Kawasaki, travelers walked about 5 1/2 miles, arriving at a hill in Kanagawa that faced Edo (Tokyo) Bay. This hill is now a part of the city Yokohama. The bank of the bay is lined with houses and restaurants built close to the water's edge; some restaurants have a veranda with a bay view. Two waitresses in front of the restaurant, according to its sign named "Kikuya," eagerly entice reluctant travelers.
Hiroshige again harmoniously combines two styles of perspective, Western and Japanese. The odd looking tree pointing to the left behind the house at the to of the hill skillfully ties the row of houses directed toward the right with the expanse of the bay. The composition with roofs receding in parallel lines, people in the street and the waters of the bay at the left is similar to that of Sunrise at Shinagawa (cat. 104).
(ref. “Hokusai and Hiroshige,” p. )
Hoeido (Takenouchi Magohachi) seal.
This object has the following keywords:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Objects is "Fifty-three Stations of the Tokaido: Station 4, Kanagawa".