Marguerite Wildenhain does not have an image.
20th century Ceramist
Marguerite Wildenhain was born in Lyons, France in 1896 and received a classical education in France, England and Germany. After training at the School of Fine and Applied Arts in Berlin, she worked briefly as a designer in a porcelain factory in Thuringia. In 1919 she entered into a seven year program of study at the Bauhaus, in Weimar, where she studied with Max Krehan and Gerhard Marcks. She became head of the ceramics department at the Municipal School for Arts and Crafts in Halle-Saale in 1926, where she designed prototypes in porcelain for Royal Berlin's mass production.
She fled to Holland in 1933 with her husband, Franz Wildenhain, with the Nazi's rise to power, and established a workshop in Putten. Their sucessful studio was forced to close when in 1940 the Wildenhains were force to leave Holland just before the Nazi invasion. They fled to the United States, and settled in California. Her reputation began to spread quickly after a show at the San Francisco Museum of Art, and she soon began to teach at the California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland. Marguerite left after two years at CCAC to establish an independent studio at Pond Farm, Guerneville, California, where she worked from 1942 to 1985. Her work has been praised for its outstanding sensitivity, form, and color.