Patti Warashina (Bauer) was born in 1940 in Spokane, Washington. She received her B. F. A. at the University of Washington in Seattle in 1962, and her M. F. A. from the same institution in 1964. Her earliest work ranked her among the many competent brown pot makers in ceramics studios. She later emerged from this class through her change to lively colors and distinct imagery. She experimented in 1967 with acrylic paints on clay surfaces before discovering low-fire ceramics and electric kilns two years later. In the early 1970's her fastidious, hard-edged works were influenced by surrealism, and through shiny low-fire glazes portrayed personal references: religious images, obscure personal symbols. In the late 1970's she turned from polychrome painting to white miniatures. The resultant sculptures, tableaux of objects, and figurines identify her as a fantasist. She ended her work with miniatures in 1990 and granted her figures monumental size and freedom. She also returned to some of her earlier forms - the vessel and the altar-head jar (a thin, inverted U-shape). Warashina teaches ceramics at the University of Washington in Seattle.